Thursday, October 7, 2010

Poetry Reading

I must say that listening to all those poems some of my fellow classmates wrote was a good experience. The poems were great and a lot of them were deeply meaningful and inspiring. Poetry is a hard thing to work with. The process of choosing the write words that can express feelings and thoughts and that can trigger in a cathartic feeling in the listener/reader is not easy. Because poetry is more restrictive, the creative process is pushed to the limit. However, reading the poems of many of my classmates makes me appreciate the talent they have.
I wasn't one of the people who volunteered to read poetry. I am not going to lie. Standing up in front of an audience and reading something that carries so much of your feelings and thoughts can be intimidating. Poetry, to a certain extent, is a pesonal experience and, I guess this is what made me hesitate in sharing it with the rest of the class. Somehow, I didn't want my feelings and creativity judged in front of everyone. Yet, although poetry is something personal, when shared with the world, it transforms itself into something vast and harder to grasp because it becomes whatever the reader sees. I guess it would have been interesting to see that transformation with one of my poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment